You’ll get to learn several new skills while knitting this cute Woven Mug Cozy and matching Coaster. You can either work through the following in order to learn each of the steps required to knit the mug cozy and coaster, or you can jump straight to the pattern and tutorial video, and come back to this page if you need more assistance with a particular step. Here are all the skills you’ll learn in this lesson:
- Knit the long tail cast on, which is arguably the most frequently used cast on method,
- Use stitch markers and row counters,
- Do yarn overs (YOs),
- K2tog and P2tog (and learn what that means),
- Do Jenny’s stretchy bind off,
- Sew a button (for the mug cozy),
- Add fringe (to the coaster), and
- Block your knitting.
You might also want to review the following:
- How to tie a slip knot,
- How to make a knit stitch,
- How to make a purl stitch, and
- How to weave (or sew) in the ends.
Feel free to post a question in the comment section or drop me an email. Happy knitting!
Ready for more practice?
With the skills you have now, you can make this Sunny Baby Blanket. Be sure to put the tips I shared above on stitch markers and row counters to use with this pattern. Or check out all the available beginner knitting lessons.