This cute mitten ornament is a quick knit Christmas ornament that makes a great gift. It’s knit flat and then sewn together using the mattress stitch. Download the pattern and watch a video tutorial below. You might also want to check out this lesson to learn all the skills necessary for knitting the mitten ornament.
- A small amount (less than 1 ounce) of worsted weight (medium) yarn; I used Vanna’s Choice.
- US size 3 and 5 needles; DPNS, circulars, or straight needles should all work
- Crochet hook (size G or something similar)
- Darning needle
My gauge was 5 stitches per inch, although exact gauge is not critical.
- K: Knit
- P: Purl
- M1L: Make One Left (Use the left needle to pick up the bar in between the first stitch on each needle; for M1L, pick up the bar from the front and knit into the back of the stitch.)
- M1R: Make One Right (Use the left needle to pick up the bar in between the first stitch on each needle; for M1R, pick up the bar from the back and knit into the front of the stitch.)
- K2tog: Knit 2 Together
- Sts: Stitches
The pattern starts at the cuff and is knit flat. Turn after every row.
Cast On: Using size 3 needles, cast on 24 sts using the Long-Tail Cast On method.
Rows 1 – 6: K1, P1, repeat across the row (24 sts.)
Row 7: Switch to size 5 needles and purl across the row.
Row 8: K11, M1L, K2, M1R, K11 (26 sts).
Row 9: Purl.
Row 10: K11, M1L, K4, M1R, K11 (28 sts).
Row 11: Purl.
Row 12: K11, M1L, K6, M1R, K11 (30 sts).
Row 13: P18. There will be 12 stitches remaining on the left needle. Turn your work.
Row 14: K6. There will be 12 stitches remaining on the left needle. Turn your work.
Row 15: P6. Turn.
Row 16: K2tog three times.
Cut the yarn leaving a 12” tail. Using a darning needle, thread the tail yarn through the three stitches you knit on Row 16.
Holding the work with the wrong side facing you, you should have 12 stitches on each needle. Reattach the yarn and purl across the 12 stitches on the left needle, completing the row.
Row 17: Knit (24 sts.)
Row 18: Purl.
Row 19: Knit.
Row 20: Purl.
Row 21: K2tog, K1, repeat across the row (16 sts.)
Row 22: Purl.
Row 23: K2tog across the row (8 sts.)
Cut the yarn leaving a 24” tail. Using a darning needle, thread the tail yarn through the live stitches on your needle to bind off. Pull tight to cinch closed the top of the mitten. Use the mattress stitch to sew closed the side of the mitten.
When you get to the end of the cuff, tie a knot using the sewing yarn and cast on tail. Crochet a chain 4” long and attach at the end. Weave in both ends.
Also use the mattress stitch to close the thumb, being sure to also close up the hole at the base of the thumb.
Download a PDF of the Pattern:
The following video provides step-by-step instructions for knitting the mitten ornament: