In this lesson, you’ll learn how to knit the Mitten Ornament, which comes together quickly and is adorable when hanging on the Christmas tree. The pattern also provides a chance to practice the M1L and M1R stitches and the mattress stitch. You knit it flat, and then use the mattress stitch to sew the sides together.
You’ll need the following supplies:
- A small amount (less than 1 ounce) of worsted weight (medium) yarn; I used Vanna’s Choice,
- US size 3 and 5 needles; DPNS, circulars, or straight needles should all work,
- Crochet hook (size G or something similar),
- Darning needle, and
Start by downloading or printing the Mitten Ornament pattern, and then review each of the following:
- How to Knit the M1L and M1R increases,
- How to Sew the Mattress Stitch,
- How to K2tog, and
- Watch the video overview of the whole project (at the bottom of the pattern page), which shows all the steps after the cast on.
Feel free to post a question in the comment section or drop me an email. Happy knitting!
Ready for more practice?
This Christmas Bell Ornament is also very cute and comes together quickly. Or check out all the available beginner knitting lessons.