In this lesson, you’ll knit a Garter Stitch Coaster. You can either work through each of the following in order to learn each of the steps required to knit the coaster, or you can jump straight to the pattern and tutorial video for the coaster and come back to this page if you need more assistance with a particular step. Here are all the skills you’ll learn in this lesson:
- How to pull the yarn from the middle of the skein,
- How to tie a slip knot,
- How to hold your yarn,
- How to cast on using the continental method,
- Which way to wrap the yarn (always counter-clockwise),
- How to keep your yarn and stitches in the correct orientation, including how to make sure you pick up your project and resume knitting in the right direction after sitting it down in the middle of a row,
- How to make a knit stitch with the continental style of knitting (i.e., holding the working yarn in your left hand),
- How to knit garter stitch,
- Where your yarn should be after you turn your work,
- How to bind off, and
- How to weave (or sew) in the ends.
After you’ve reviewed each of the above, you’ll know everything you need to knit a garter stitch coaster.
Feel free to post a question in the comment section or drop me an email. Happy knitting!